List of methyl donors
Here’s a list of methyl donors. There may be more I haven’t found yet.
- Methionine (amino acid)
- Taurine (amino acid containing methionine and cysteine)
- SAM or SAMe (s-adenosyl-l-methionine)
- TMG and DMG (trimethylglycine & dimethylglycine or betaine/choline) a methylated amino acid
- Methylcobalamin (Methyl-B12) a methylated form of vitamin B12
- Acetic acid (vinegar)
- MSM (methyl sulfonyl methane)*
*Some say this “may” be a methyl donor. Looking at some of the stories of autism cases that have seen results, I’d say it absolutely is.
There are at least two separate pathways to methylation:
- B12/folic acid pathway
- TMG to choline pathway
How the other methyl donors work or affect these pathways is unknown to me as yet. If methylation helps, it seems wise to tackle from both pathways at once in case one is deficient. Tests to see which pathway is most effective should also be carried out.